Thursday, March 7, 2013

Nautical Nursery Tour

My youngest son recently turned one....the year has flown by!  While I've shared pieces of the nursery here, I have yet to post an official nursery tour.  The nursery has been done for some time now, but usually my time to take pictures for the blog is while the boys nap.....so....I just haven't had the opportunity to get in the nursery for some decent pics.  This week, I had the chance.  Hope you enjoy!



As soon as I decided to re-do the nursery, I knew I wanted to create a nautical theme.  I'm very drawn to the ocean and beach-y interiors.  However, since we live in the Midwest, I don't tend to add many beach-y touches to our home.  I felt, though, that if I can create a themed room anywhere, it would be the nursery.  You can read about my room inspiration and see the inspiration board here

Since this was the second time doing the nursery, I wanted to re-use as much as  i could from the old nursery or from around my house, to keep costs down.  I simply used accessories to freshen it up.  First, the color of the walls stayed.  I used these two baskets, which were previously in a guest room, for toy and blanket storage:



From the start, I knew I wanted to create a sailboat mobile and include a map theme as well. I made this mobile, along with help from my mother in law, using paper mache for the boat and fabric for the sail. I created this mobile before I started blogging, so I didn't share the process here. But, a tutorial and template can be found here, at Ann Wood's blog.



Here is the nursery before we lowered the crib and removed the DIY bedding I sewed  - along with curtain panels - for his crib.  You can read about creating those here.




 I created a mini-gallery wall using a boat painting found at Goodwill, a picture of a wave that I tore out of a calendar, and map gift wrap from Paper Source:


I previously had the white fluffy rug in my first son's nursery.  The rug was never the right scale and I wanted to add a little more color.  So I layered a yellow rug, from Overstock, underneath:


On the wall opposite of the crib, we have a bookshelf - which was perviously in our attic storage area - for toys and books:




I purchased the ship wheel from Hobby Lobby, the little lamp from Goodwill, and the Norman Rockwell lithograph and frame from a re-sale shop:


The carousel horse was given to us by a very special family friend who passed right before my first son was born:


I created the Anthropology inspired wall letters myself.  You can read the tutorial here.




Here is our glider and the DIY curtain panels I mentioned earlier, made from Ikea Merete panels and leftover fabric I used for the crib bedding.  I would have liked to update the glider to a white chair, but instead I just used a white throw I already owned over the beige fabric:




I also purchased this globe from a resale shop - when I bought the Norman Rockwell print - to go along with our map and sailboat theme:




 By now, you might be wondering where the changing table is at.  Or maybe you weren't, but now you are.  You can probably tell this is quite a small nursery; however, it has a large closet in comparison.  So, we purchased two IKEA Malm dressers to fill the space in the closet and use that as the changing table. 

I recently added to the wall these pinwheels I made for my son's nautical themed first birthday party (which you can read about here).  The black and white "Welcome to the Journey" print was given to him by his god parents:




And here is the little guy himself, in his room, for an impromptu photo shoot we recently had:






Thanks for stopping by!
If you like what you see, I'd love to hear about it or have you follow along!

See more of our home tour here.

UPDATE:  I'm just now reading that Google is eliminating its Google Reader service. If that is the service you use to keep up with your blogs, and you are now transferring as a result, I created a bloglovin' button (here and in my sidebar) so that you can continue to follow along!!!!

Follow on Bloglovin

Linking at:
Jennifer Rizzo / The Inspiration GalleryInspired Me Please / Flaunt it Friday / It's Overflowing / Finding Silver Pennies / Coastal Charm / Skip to my Lou / My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia / Home Stories A to Z / Savvy Southern Style / Emily A. Clark / No Minimalist Here / Stone Gable / The Deidcated House / Give Me The Goods

34 comments:

  1. Your nursery is so beautiful and serene! He's a lucky little boy! I just love all the colors and all the details. You can tell a lot of love when into this room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did such a great job! I've told you before how much I love the letters, and I didn't realize that you had sewn the bedding, OR that it was your first time sewing. What did you switch them to (you said you removed them??)? Happy first birthday to cutie pie Colton!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually still have the bumper on the bed. We need it otherwise his arm/leg gets stuck b/w the bars of the crib and he screams and cries. :( I kind of liked how clean the pics looked w/o it, though, so off it came.

      The crib skirt no longer makes sense to have on the crib, though, since it has been lowered closer to the floor.

      Delete
  3. Love it Dawn! Those little chunky monkey legs are SO cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh dawn, look at that beautiful child and those tiptoes!

    the nursery looks awesome, and my fav is the mobile. so special since it was created by your hands.

    hugs.

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH my goodness I love every detail! Those map letters are too cute and the sail boat mobile is so precious. Such a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so sweet! I love the colors and all the little touches. And, again, your son is so adorable with his chubby little legs. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a nice and calm space for your little man. He's cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! That is beautiful! And I have that same map lol.

    Jenny from DIYwithjenandb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful nursery! It looks so amazing and you did such a great job! I love the crib bedding and the curtains. Such a cute little guy, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aaww Love this nursery. Job well done..Love those chubby legs in the last pic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dawn, his nautical nursery is so gorgeous! I love the sailboats, the touches from antique stores, the beautiful letters and the wall gallery. Love it. Would love if you could share this at my link party tomorrow morning - Silver Pennies Sundays - www.findingsilverpennies.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is gorgeous! I totally love your style ;) Well and your blog! You did a fantastic job!
    Jamie www.somuchbetterwithage.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Dawn...Colton is just so sweet!
    The room looks wonderful, you did a great job!
    I just posted about my "baby's" room makeover too...time flies!

    ReplyDelete
  14. They do get so big so fast - what a great room Dawn. And it's got a nautical influence but not too theme-y at all. It's beautiful and a great color on the walls. I'm hoping to use a few of the items in my daughter's room for our next baby's room - we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely boy's nursery! I love your grey and yellow crib bedding...those two colors are my favorite combinations! What a blessed little boy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, and I'm now your newest follower..can't wait to see what's ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a soothing room. Love all the details. Your little guy is just adorable too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay, so glad you linked this up at Silver Pennies Sundays! Such a sweet, sweet room x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can see Colton approves! Love the nautical theme and those curtains - and your son's adorable chubby little legs!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is amazing. You thought of everything! Every detail is just gorgeous, and the room's little occupant is SO cute! ;) I found you at Home Stories A to Z... thanks for sharing!

    ~Abby =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved this room so much I featured it in my "Weekly Favs" here: http://justagirlandherblog.com/reader-love-and-my-weekly-favs/ !! Thanks so much for sharing your son's beautiful nursery!!

      ~Abby =)

      Delete
  21. Very nice! I especially love the boat mobile and the pinwheels :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a darling room for your little guy. Love the boat mobile - just precious. He's one lucky guy.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  23. He sure is sweet! Look at those tiny little feetsies! You really did a wonderful job on his room! I love nautical designs...I live in Florida!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such a sweet space. And, I love the added pinwheels. Thanks for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dawn, The room is so cute and your little guy is adorable! Thank you for sharing the nursery at the Open House party.
    xx,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  26. what a sweet space for your lil captin! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm loving this!!! It's so easy to over do the whole nautical theme! And you did an awesome job love it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your little sailboats are darling. I love the wood paneling in the room - so classic.

    ReplyDelete
  29. It's GORGEOUS!! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!! You did a fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love this nursery! That mobile is so dreamy looking, and the artwork on the wall is amazing! Congrats on being featured on Centsational Girl!! Go you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. SUCH an adorable nursery! I love how its not too "baby!" Would love it if you would link this up to Give Me The Goods Monday: 1 Party, 5 Blogs! http://www.rainonatinroof.com/2013/04/give-me-goods-monday-link-party-4.html
    Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

    ReplyDelete