Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The best fajita seasoning...ever...


...I know, it's a bold claim, but it's true!!!  My mom first shared this recipe with me a year or so ago...and I make fajitas all the time ever since than.


First, though, Shauna at Satori Design for Living, is sharing my homemade spice blend tip with her readers today, along with other bloggers' tips to make everyday life a little easier:

So head on over and check it out!  Link to her full round up is here.
See my full post here.



I love fajitas because they are so easy and of course delicious.  In my mind, they are relatively healthy, as well.  These fajitas are so filling that we don't waste time or calories on any side dishes.  This meal is easy to prep the evening before or even during nap time.  To make the prep even simpler:

(1)  Look for Trader Joe's bag of frozen sliced red, yellow, and green peppers. (I will be trying it this way for the first time this week and will let you know how it turns out).
(2)  Prepare a large batch of the seasoning mix in advance and store in a leftover spice jar.  Here is the breakdown:

3/8 cups seasoned salt
3/8 cups dried oregano
3/8 cups cumin
1/4 cup garlic powder
1/8 cup chili powder
1/8 cup paprika

Use 3 tablespoons mix, 2 - 3 tablespoons olive oil, and 3 tablespoons lime or lemon juice for 1 1/2 pounds of chicken.  Full recipe for one meal is below.



Chicken Fajitas (adapted from Taste of Home)
5 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp lemon or lime juice
1 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1 1/2 boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
3 peppers (yellow, orange, red.  Adjust upward or downward for you taste preference.  I like a lot of veggies)
1/2 yellow onion, julienned
 
1.  In a large plastic bag, combine 3 tbsp olive oil, 3 tbsp lemon or lime juice, seasonings, and chicken.  Refridgerate and marinade 1 - 4 hours. 

2.  In a large skillet, saute peppers and onions in remaining oil until tender-crisp.  Remove and keep warm.


3.  In same skillet, cook chicken and marinade over medium high heat for 6 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. 


4.  Return  pepper mixture to pan, heat through.  Serve on warm tortilla's with cheese and diced avocado:

 
Also, I like to serve the fajitas with one of these:

Until next time...

Linking at: Stone Gable / It's Overflowing

6 comments:

  1. yummmmmmm. we eat mexican at our fav nearby place almost every friday, and my 'regular' is the steak fajita and a margartia on the rocks.

    that seasoning is a money saver too i bet!

    smiles.

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dawn! Nice to meet you - I just popped over from Satori Design! Really enjoyed your make ahead spice mixture saving tip. This makes such sense!! Thanks for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your spice tips on the blog today! Definitely going to make up some of this mix as we eat Mexican quite regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fajitas are yummy! Your seasoning does sound really good. And I love your photos too :) I could go for one of those drinks right about now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, I am sooooo pinning, because I love fajitas as it is, and this will make them even more delicious.... I will let you know how they turn out!

    Happy Easter to you and yours… :)
    hugs x
    Crystelle
    Crystelle Boutique

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm using this for my fajitas tonight and my house smells amazing. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete