Thursday, September 12, 2013

Exterior Updates

Hello!  Trying to post really quickly here, so this post will be short on words, long on pictures.  I mentioned about a million times on this blog that we placed an effort on improving our curb appeal and landscaping this summer. 



Finally, I have some before and after pics for you.  I realize that most of the "blogosphere" has moved onto fall already.  But as my friend Luci, at Bungalow at Home, so kindly pointed out on instagram last week....we still have at least another week of summer!  So here you go, summer landscaping at it's fullest.

The house as we purchased and before adding additional dormers and our addition (looking back, maybe we should have just torn it down! ;)):


....and today:


To enhance our curb appeal - over the course of five years - we:
  • Changed our roofline;
  • Added new window openings and windows;
  • Updated the roof;
  • Added Hardyboard to the front of the house and painted out the cedar shake to match;
  • Painted out the red brick to match our color scheme;
  • Lined the path to create an entrance;
  • Added window boxes;
  • Added lots of greenery!
The landscaping isn't perfect, I'd like a little more color and will try to add more over the course of time.  But I'm really happy with the results!

Another before and after:



...and more details:




Here is my purple leaf plum when it was still purple.  I'm not sure if it is getting enough sun in its current spot:


This area gets about five hours of sun max, and lots of grasses need at least six.  My nursery worked with me to help select grasses that are part shade (early in the summer before they filled in and before we painted out our deck):


Boxwoods line our path - along with one azalea.  I kind of wish I mixed in a few more azaleas randomly along the path, so next summer I might switch a few boxwoods to our backyard and add azaleas for spring color:



I planted Dragon Wing Begonias and Sweet Potato Vine in our window boxes and love how they look.  Think I will do it again next summer:


I think the last change I'm going to make is to paint out our door black.  I'm not sure if it will be too shocking for me, though!  I would love to add an awning or something to create a "covered entrance" just not sure if it's high on my list of priorities right now.  One more look:



As always, thanks for stopping by!

Linking at: Tutorials, Tips, and Tidbits, Liz Marie Blog, Craftberry Bush, Jennifer Rizzo / It's Overflowing , Home Stories A to Z

37 comments:

  1. Umm, yeah I'd say that's a pretty amazing transformation. I am amazed at how you are able to visualize an outcome and make it happen. Beautiful Dawn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a beautiful home! Love the changes you made, it truly looks like a different home. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what an amazing transformation! Your house is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks gorgeous! I never would have thought to change the roof line but it sure made a difference. Of course, landscaping and plants always make things beautiful! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is stunning! This transformation is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh em gee, this is ridiculously good. like, i'm so jealous of your changes that I can't even look-that good. wow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - what a beautiful job you did - I can't believe the before and after, they look like 2 different homes!
    LOVE !!!!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  9. That doesn't even look like the same house! It is GORGEOUS!! Love your planters and front door!
    -Emily
    www.simplelifeofafirewife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have turned this ugly duckling into a beautiful home. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love a good before/after --- this is amazing!!! Magazines are going to be calling for a shoot this coming Spring! (And it's totally summer here, too). XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  12. Could you tell me what the colors of the exterior you used. I am leaning towards those colors as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. great transformation!! You did a fabulous job, your house looks fresh and up to date now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just beautiful Dawn! You house has so much Curb Appeal!! And yes, I hang on to Summer as long as I can!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks so beautiful. Love your landscaping and the arts and crafts feel you've brought to your home- very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your yard is so gorgeous, Dawn. I love all of your pretty flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. YOu have created great curb appeal!! I love it! so very pretty and I love the new lines of your house!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous before and after. I am amazed at how changing the roofline improved the look of the house so much. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fabulous before and after. I am amazed at how changing the roofline improved the look of the house so much. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What an awesome transformation! I love the Craftsman style of the new loon.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Popped over from Centstational Girl - what a great transformation. Now going to start having a nosey at the rest of your blog. Some blogs are so far ahead I reckon they are putting their Christmas decorations up now! I loved seeing your summer photos.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have a question? Did you just go over the top of the concrete steps? If you did, what type of products did you use for the lovely transfortation?

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have a question? Did you just go over the top of the concrete steps? If you did, what type of products did you use for the lovely transfortation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi - thanks for your response on my blog. This is kind of funny - I guess I must have signed in under my blogger account when visiting with my parents recently, so my mother actually asked this question & didn't realize she was signed in under my account. I let her know that you responded & she wanted to let you know thank you so much for the information.
      -Beth

      Delete
  25. Beautiful!! The transformation is amazing. You wouldn't even know it was the same house!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Absolutely gorgeous transformation! Amazing. I had to keep comparing the photos because they didn't look like the same house at all. You have selected great plants and planters and they make such a difference. I'm sure all your neighbors are thrilled you moved in and gave them ideas/fixed up the neighborhood so well.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Big wow! The transformation is amazing and the after is so beautiful. I wish I had that kind of green thumb (or thinking)! Y'all did such a great job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. You did the right thing by NOT tearing this darling home down. You have breathed new life into it, and it's beyond charming! I absolutely love it! Although I think your door would look great black, I honestly love the natural wood! I think it gives it a lot of character and it's one of the first things that popped out to me! Wonderful job on the curb appeal!

    ReplyDelete
  29. You did the right thing by NOT tearing this darling home down! It looks absolutely amazing! I'm in awe of all you did to boost the curb appeal. It really looks amazing. Although I think your door would look great painted black, I must admit that I really love the natural wood look! It's actually one of the first things that popped out to me of things I loved about your house! Bravo on upping the curb appeal, you definitely hit a home run!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What color siding did you get? We are ordering siding from hardie and going back and forth on what color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it is Monterey Taupe. It looks different depending on lighting. Get a large sample if at all possible and look at in in all light to decide if you like it!

      Delete
  31. Oh my goodness! Your house is beautiful!! We are house shopping and your house could be right from the neighborhood we are looking in. What an inspiration for us! Love your landscaping too. So pretty.

    Can you tell me what kind of awning you would consider? I'm trying to picture that and I don't know anything about awnings except that we had the green striped cloth kind at one time and I've seen the metal ones. Is there something else out there in the line of awnings?

    Thanks for the boost in our vision!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I wouldn't add an awning or paint the door. It's soooooo gorgeous as it is! And the door is a real wood door -- not fiberglass or metal like so many -- you have the luxury of just leaving it stained. I'm jealous. :)

    ReplyDelete