Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Side Entry Mini Makeover

Each year we've lived in this house, I've only added annuals to the planters in the front of our house.  Here is what I did to our window baskets this year:


Given the amount of work we are taking on outside this summer (we just completed a project this weekend that I hope to share soon but if you follow me on instagram you might already have seen it), I decided to keep it simple and use Dragon Wing Begonias and Sweet Potato Vine.  A friend of mine plants this variety of begonia each year and I always love the look, so I decided to give them a try. 

This begonia is pretty flexible, as it can withstand a wide range of sun, from 2 - 8 hours.  Further, it blooms continuously throughout the summer and it should fill the baskets out nicely:


Here is a picture I took recently, when all of the spring trees were in bloom, looking out our front door in this same direction (I'm kind of jealous of our neighbors gorgeous landscaping):


In the past, I've planted annuals in two planters at our front entry as well.  But, we have decided to change our front landscaping this summer and focus our money and energy on perennials instead.  So, for our next Outdoor Extravaganza link up, I thought I would share with you a mini side entry makeover:


I started by moving my two planters to our side entry - which is the entry which is most often used as well as most often neglected.  Here is where it started:


And here it is now:


Here is what the planters looked like when I started:


I stopped liking the color of these planters about two seconds after I bought them.  I actually wanted to toss them and start over, but given the money we are spending to update our perennials I decided to give them a refresh with a little paint - I chose a grey-ish charcoal:e


I actually wanted a darker charcoal color than this, but not badly enough to paint them again.  As for the annuals, I added a fern for height and lobelia as a filler flower and for added color.  Finally, I love the lime colored sweet potato vine so added that to spill over the container:


Next, I added these coat hooks to create a little more function at this door:


I bought these hooks - from Hobby Lobby - for our mudroom but I decided they were too small.  I was stuck with them since I tossed the receipt and then decided to add them right by this door for wet towels.  SOOOO, originally I had this brilliant idea that I would also use these hooks to hang my garden tools.  It was really convenient and I liked them hanging right there, but then my husband pointed out that it would make it really simple for someone to grab a sharp object and crash through the glass so I decided to move them.....

I'm not fully convinced on his argument, because I don't like being wrong, but I guess he kind of has a point....

SOOO....instead of the garden tools, I added this lantern specifically for the picture....I've actually been dying to hang this lantern on a hook ever since I bought the pair, I can't really explain why..... 

Finally, we added hooks and more ferns to hang on our garage:


Can you tell my ferns obsession has continued?  Read about it here.  I'm not sure why, but these simple changes have made me much happier when I pull our car into the driveway.  :) 

I really hoped I would have had our deck and pergola ready to share by now.  I've purchased curtains and rods to add this year, but time just got the best of us and we've had to put off hanging it all.....ANNNDD...my indecisive nature has led me to second guess exactly how we will be hanging them.  So, until we have more progress to share, I will leave you with a few looks at the deck as it stands today:






Have you done any low cost makeover to your home's exterior?  Or any outdoor decorating makeover in general?  I hope you'll stop back by tomorrow to share it at our Outdoor Extravaganza Link Party!

Linking at: The Winthrop Chronicles / Clean and Scentsible / DIY by Design / Power of Paint / Wow us Wednesday / Silver Pennies / Stone Gable / No Minimalist Here / All Things with a Purpose / Jennifer Rizzo / Be Inspired / Summer Spruce Up / Craftberrybush / Chic on a Shoestring / / My Romantic Home / / Inspire Me / / It's Overflowing

17 comments:

  1. Wow, Dawn, everything looks fantastic. Love the hooks by your side door, and the planters look amazing. I planted begonias for the first time this year as well. I've always liked the look of them. I think your husband may have a valid point with the garden tools (that's always a hard one to admit!). Looks like your yard is ready for summer, so take some time to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the window boxes! The begonias look great and will look even better when they grow more this summer. Your house is so pretty, inside and out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness Dawn, your yard is so pretty. I love your planters. You gave me an idea for my yard too. Thank you so much for sharing. I am so inspired to get my yard together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It all looks so inviting! What a beautiful outdoor space you have!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am loving the wine barrels painted out! That yard looks perfect for a summer cocktail on a hot afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooooh I want your pergola!! And your beautiful comfy deck furniture! And your charcoal barrels! What a great space. Love what you've done with it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your outdoor space is quite lovely. I love all the ferns! Your furniture is great, love love love!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your entry looks adorable with the little updates and your deck looks like a super lovely spot to spend some time outdoors!! Great job:)
    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the dragon wing begonias, too. They are so stinkin' pretty. I have a red one that always comes back and I got a pink one this year.
    Everything looks so fresh and pretty. Love the ferns hanging on the garage.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your entry way and deck are SO charming. I'm a new follower and just took a tour of your home. Ummmm WOW. I love your style. Everything is so inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ferns by the garage I LOVE IT! I think we have almost the same garage and I love how it looks. Also now I am realizing I need to spiff up my side door because that is the one we use all the time as well. Thanks for the motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those hooks are genius! Love, Love your style!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the hooks too, totally copying! Thanks for the great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dawn, it looks fantastic. I love the hooks and the planters. Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. SO beautiful! Those planters are just gorgeous! I popped over from It's Overflowing--thanks for sharing!

    ~Abby =)

    ReplyDelete